Monday, February 11, 2013
Full Time Permanent
Corporate Business Applications
Responsible for the stable, secure and effective operation of the City’s business applications. Duties include:
• Ensuring service delivery channels (e.g. web, apps, email) and related technology infrastructure perform according to expected service levels and are deployed to maximize support for corporate programs and services;
• Defining standards, processes and best practices to support application system operations;
• Overseeing the evaluation and assessment of new systems and enhancements to existing systems;
• Ensuring quality assurance activities are in place to monitor program effectiveness and support continuous application system improvements;
• Coordinating and managing the corporate data model and the design and development of databases.
Plays a leading role in the planning, procurement, design, and deployment of new applications and enhancements/upgrades to existing solutions, partnering with business units to ensure implementation aligns with service delivery objectives.
Ensures sufficient, appropriate resources are applied for application and database support services. Develops effective and innovative technology solutions and delivery methodologies to meet program service requirements.
Conducts research and makes recommendations on application products, services, protocols/standards.
Provides multi-tiered support of corporate applications to address varying complexity and nature of business applications, and needs of business units in service delivery.
Application Technology Architecture
Develops and takes lead responsibility for the Corporation’s application technology architecture. Works with business units and IT staff to define, update and manage the application architecture and data model strategy, ensuring alignment with the Corporation’s IT Strategy.
By developing appropriate plans and budgets, ensures application systems continue meeting the Corporation’s business needs. Monitors and assesses corporate and industry trends and changes, and provides recommendations on improvement opportunities and impacts.
Understands the Corporation’s application system capabilities and assesses them using industry best practices. Collaborates with senior leaders and other staff to communicate benefits of software and re-engineer business processes and technology solutions to promote the maximum benefits available.
Leads, promotes and facilitates implementation of the IT governance framework throughout the Corporation. Shapes and influences City leaders’ perception of the IT governance process and its value to the Corporation and the community.
Participates as a member on the IT Portfolio Evaluation Committee, defining and carrying out intake, evaluation and ranking processes associated with IT portfolio management.
Participates on steering committees and/or working groups as assigned, working with business units and others to identify and develop short and long term technology business strategies and plans. Provides IT expertise and industry knowledge to shape and inform advancement of technology opportunities and solutions.
Customer Service and Vendor Relationships
Develops a collaborative working environment where staff build strong positive working relationships with corporate business units and stakeholders. Works with senior managers and staff across multiple departments and business areas to ensure the Branch is poised to anticipate, rather than react, to issues/risks.
Ensures all technology projects are supported and adhere to the approved IT project methodology and the Corporate IT Strategy.
Fosters and maintain positive working relationship with vendors to ensure objectives are achieved, expectations are met and communications are ongoing; monitoring performance to ensure contract commitments are fulfilled and problems are resolved.
Responds to inquiries from, and/or liaises/consults with business units, vendors, suppliers, consultants and other governments/agencies/organizations.
Staff Supervision & Branch/Department Administration
Assesses branch staffing needs, makes recommendation on complement amendments and organizational structure, participates in recruitment processes, and makes effective hiring recommendations.
Supervises branch staff including staff development, performance management/review, coaching/mentoring, staff engagement, rewards and recognition, health and safety, collective agreement administration, discipline and termination recommendations
Prepares and recommends annual Branch budgets and longer-range forecasts; provides input into the corporate annual budget process on matters related to information technology issues/programs such as department/branch-specific or specialized programs and needs; administers/monitors the approved budget including authorization of expenditures; participates in the development of the department business plan.
Monitors and manages branch and department operational and capital budgets, and reports on monthly variances. Leads and participates in the development of procurement documents and the evaluation and award of contracts. Oversees and participates in the purchasing and administration of contracts and other purchases in accordance with City policies and procedures.
Develops standards, processes and procedures for enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of the Branch. Regularly reviews and evaluates branch administrative and service delivery processes with a view to streamlining and updating practices.
Participates in the development of department policies and procedures.
Prepares reports, business cases and recommendations, and attends and makes presentations at executive, senior leadership, department and committee meetingsParticipates on the department management team. Serves as Acting Director as required. Attends to afterhours emergencies and/or meetings as directed/required. Performs other duties as required
1. University Degree in Computer Engineering or Honours Computer Science
2. Demonstrated 7 years progressive experience in information technology with an emphasis on applications development, programming, customer service and database and website management including supervisory experience in a unionized environment
3. Thorough working knowledge of application configuration and integration, development support and maintenance, database information, design and management, and telecommunications
4. Excellent strategic thinking and analytical skills
5. Demonstrated experience in leading an application services team in the design and delivery of creative IT solutions, leveraging and expanding upon enterprise systems
6. Experience managing vendor relationships and achieving desired performance outcomes while maintaining a positive working relationship
7. Experience managing the performance and professional development of staff
8. Strong customer focus with exceptional interpersonal skills including collaboration, facilitation, negotiation and communication
9. Demonstrated experience in developing data standards, service level standards and live test procedures
10. Demonstrated experience using quality improvement, assurance and testing methodologies and tools
11. Commitment to continuous learning and professional development
12. Computer literacy utilizing the Microsoft Office Suite (including Project, Visio, InfoPath), Adobe products, SQL Server, Sharepoint, Visual Studio.NET, VB.NET, Visual SourceSafe, Windows Server, Linux, Macromedia Cold Fusion, ESRI GIS products, Dreamweaver, VMware, Virtual Server, Firehouse, CLASS, AMANDA, Great Plains, Sunguard Water Billing, Cityworks.
13. Availability to attend to emergency programming and troubleshooting and/or meetings/events during evenings and/or weekends as may be required.
The normal hours of work are currently from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with a one-hour lunch period per day, Monday through Friday (35 hours per week) but some non-standard hours may be required.
(Salary Under Review) This is currently a Level-13 position on the Non-Union Pay Scale with a 2012 pay range of $77,604 to $94,330 per year.
Please submit your resume electronically by quoting file #E-13-01 Manager, Application Services (MS Word format only; quote file number in subject line), by Monday, February 11, 2013 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Human Resources Department, City of Barrie, P.O. Box 400, Barrie, Ontario, L4M 4T5.
The Corporation of The City of Barrie is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, S.O. 2001, c.25 and will be used to determine employment eligibility. Questions regarding collection should be directed to the Human Resources Department at (705) 739-4202.